Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fresh Homemade Granola

One of my favorite smells to wake up to is Granola baking.  It smells like oatmeal cookies and you kinda move... nose first to the kitchen anxious for the first bowl of hot, crunchy granola--with or without milk!  As promised, I am going to share some recipes with you and today is my Granola recipe.  I started with a recipe from my sister-in-law but after substitutions when I was out of something and accidents, I think I have the perfect recipe--at least we think so.  I make a double recipe at least once a month. You tell me what you think.

Kat's Granola Recipe
5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup dried, shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup honey
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup light olive oil
1 13.66 oz can coconut milk
2 Tbsp water
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans are my favorite for this)

Mix well first thing in the morning and let sit, covered, all day.  Just before going to bed, heat oven to 150 degrees, split granola mixture between 2 cookie sheets then slip them into the oven.  When you wake up in the morning, you will have perfectly cooked yummy granola.  I add raisins when I turn the oven off and leave the granola in the oven to cool.

The usual method for cooking granola is to bake at 250 degrees for 2-2 1/2 hours stirring every 1/2 hour.  I always had soggy spots that didn't get baked long enough.  Since instituting the above baking method, I get perfect results every time.

Since it's still coolish outside, I have a batch ready to go into the oven tonight.  Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment