Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Name is Kat and I am a Knitter!

Actually I knit and crochet.  My real addiction is yarn--sock yarn, baby yarn, worsted weight and bulky!  Cotton yarn, bamboo, silk and acrylic.  The colors, texture and feel.  I have enough yarn to start my own yarn shop but when I start a project I go to the Yarn Shop to purchase more! This past winter and spring I made numerous scarves for friends.  One favorite was a long scarf made of pink Bernat Boa yarn for my granddaughter. Then there was the Lotus Leaf Scarf which became an addiction in itself.  Every skein of yarn was a new possibility for this scarf.  I made so many of them that my husband started asking if I was ever going to knit anything else.

Today I was reading an article in a knitting magazine by one of my favorite knitters, Debbie Macomber.  She wrote a wonderful series of books called The Blossom Street series where everything revolves around a The (yarn) Shop on Blossom Street.  In the article she shared about being dyslexic at a time when teachers didn't even know what dyslexia was.  She had the stigma of being "dumb" because she couldn't learn to read.  At the age of twelve she was taught to knit.  Instead of the "dumb girl" she became known as "the knitter" and even taught others to knit.  What a blessing this was for her and for those of us who caught her enthusiasm through The Blossom Street series and her accompanying knitting pattern books.  She makes the suggestion that if you are a knitter, teach a child to knit!

I knit and crochet to relax; to keep my hands busy; and for the sheer fun of it.  I knit or crochet when watching a movie, riding in the car, listening to music or visiting with friends.  Currently I am crocheting a baby afghan for a young mother who has two boys and is expecting a GIRL!  And yes, the baby afghan is PINK!!!  I will post a picture of the finished blanket in a few weeks.  I love giving hand knit or crocheted items as gifts.  Every hand knitted or crocheted item I give is given from my heart.

On my list of goals for retirement is to do some knitting and crocheting for a charity called Stitches from the Heart www.stitchesfromtheheart.org.  They send knitted and crocheted baby items made by volunteers to hospitals nationwide.  The other goal is to make Prayer Shawls for our local hospice to give to Hospice patients or their families members.  Isn't it wonderful that God can even use my addiction:)))

Coming soon will be a post on my PAPER addiction!  At this point I'm not sure which is worse, the yarn or the paper but I love them both!!!

Thanks for stopping by.  Kat


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment