Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sorry for my Blogging Vacation

I am sooo sorry for my little Blogging Vacation.  I have been consumed with learning all I can about Gluten Free cooking.  That on top of the garden and exercise, etc. has kept me pretty busy.  But I have some really great ideas for blog posts coming up so keep checking back.  I just checked today and have had nearly 500 visits since launching my blog in July!  Wow!  I am humbled by that and will get with the program to make your visits worthwhile.

Last Sunday we visited the Oregon State Fair.  What fun that was!  I always enjoy the fair.  This year we didn't spend as much time as usual so didn't see as much.  We usually go the second weekend so traffic has thinned out some.  Well, this was the first weekend and there was TRAFFIC--starting first just trying to get to the fairgrounds; about 45 minutes.  Then the line to get tickets was another 20+ minute wait.  Lots to see and do PLUS I got my bag of Suzy Q Kettle Corn on the way out (it's tradition).

This weekend we are heading off to the opposite side of the state to Sumpter one of their legendary flea markets.  They are famous for their three flea markets a year--Memorial weekend, 4th of July and Labor Day Weekend.  I'm taking my camera to this one so will have some photos to show when I get back.

Well, I am off to finish making a huge bowl of Gazpacho.  Want the recipe?  Well here it is.  I have been making this recipe of Gazpacho nearly every summer since 1979.  It is found in ideals Meatless Meals Cookbook by Donna A. Paananen.  Great way to use that bounty of tomatoes growing in the garden right now.

Diane's Gazpacho
Yield: 8-10 servings (for our family that would translate into 4-6 servings)

6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 large cucumber (deseeded if seeds are big), chopped
1 sweet green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 sweet red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1/2 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
6 large garlic cloves, minced
1 small chili pepper, deseeded and chopped (I use jalapeno or salsa peppers)
1 cup (more or less to taste) tomato juice (when I have LOTS of tomatoes I blend up fresh as juice)
1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 tsp salt (a little more if fresh tomatoes were used as juice)
pepper to taste
Thoroughly mix together all ingredients.  Taste and correct seasonings.  Serve ice cold (if you can wait that long to eat it:))

Bon Apetit, dear friends.  Kat

1 comment:

  1. yummy!! i've been looking for a good gazpacho recipe, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete