Monday, December 20, 2010

Another Yummy Holiday Recipe

PopcornImage via Wikipedia
Christmas is sneaking up on me!  How can that happen when it is the same day every year?!!!  There is still so much to do and then there are the hiccups--unexpected events--that throw everything off kilter.  I am having more than my share of hiccups this year so feel like I am running in reverse:(  Today I made 14 Christmas cards, two gift card holders (turned out really cute), a quadruple batch of Russian Teacakes, wrote two blog posts and am now going to make Carmel Corn!  Tomorrow night is our church caroling night; Wednesday evening we have a group of kids/young adults coming for snacks, games and to spend the night; group skiing on Thursday...


I decided that since I didn't do much blogging last week, I would share two recipes this week.  This one is for the best Carmel Corn I have ever tasted.  If you don't like molasses, then don't even try it because that is the secret ingredient in this exceptional recipe.  I have been making Carmel Corn from this recipe for the last 25 years and it never ceases to bring rave reviews from friends, family, coworkers, etc.


Carmel Corn


10-12 cups popped corn


1 cup margarine
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup white syrup (I stopped using corn syrup this year so am making my white syrup by mixing 1 cup cane sugar with 1/4 cup water--don't know why I didn't think of this years ago)
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla


Combine margarine, brown sugar, white syrup, molasses, and salt in a large sauce pan.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add soda and vanilla. Pour over popped corn.  Stir in--coat popped corn evenly.  Spread on cookie sheets and bake for one hour in 250 degree oven stirring every 15 minutes.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment