Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fresh Raspberry Lemonade

For the 4th of July I had my heart set on making my signature Strawberry Lemonade for our family and friends to enjoy.  However, the strawberries were "in between" so no strawberries to use.  Plan B was to try raspberries which I had plenty of so I checked on the internet and found a great recipe at Amanda's Cookin'. I like this recipe even better than the Strawberry Lemonade and I'm sure you will too.

Amanda's Fresh Raspberry Lemonade
makes 2 quarts

7 medium lemons
1 cup mashed fresh raspberries
1 heaping cup white sugar
water

First reserve about 1/4 of the sugar and set aside. Pour the rest of the sugar into a medium saucepan. Add one cup of water. Stir and bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. This is called simple syrup) Turn off heat and let cool a bit.

Meanwhile, pour the reserved 1/4 cup of sugar over the mashed raspberries and let them sit for at least ten minutes to macerate.

While waiting for the berries, zest 6 of the 7 lemons. Place zest into a zippered sandwich bag, squeeze out all air and put it in the freezer. Never cut up a lemon and waste the zest! :) Cut the six lemons in half and extract the juice (this should yield a little under a cup of juice).

Pour the lemon juice through a strainer to eliminate pulp and any seeds. Pour the juice into a 2 quart pitcher.

Push the macerated berries through a strainer using the back of a spoon. Pour the sweetened berry juice into the pitcher with the lemon juice.

Pour the simple syrup (sugar water) into the pitcher and top off with water. Stir, add sliced lemons and refrigerate.

Note: You can adjust the sugar to your taste. Also try mixing half and half with iced tea--yummy!!!

I hope you get to sit on the porch today with a good book and a glass of Fresh Raspberry Lemonade!  Kat

1 comment:

  1. My hubby loved it! I will have to make it at our house. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete