Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, Scott!

Today is my son's 39th birthday! Happy Birthday, Scott! For at least the last 30 years he has requested carrot cake made from the same old recipe! I will be giving you that recipe today. 


In addition to the cake I also made a few of his favorite foods for supper. Don't we always celebrate with food?!!! By the looks of my hips I must do a lot of celebrating:))) Non-vegetarians have probably never heard of Loma Linda Tender Bits but vegetarians surely have. I bread them and fry (nasty word) them in a little oil. Then another of his favorites that I rarely make is carrot salad--yum! yum! I rounded out the meal with some hashbrowns I made from the potatoes I baked yesterday.


I have seen a lot of recipes for carrot salad but mine is simple--grated carrots, pineapple chunks, raisins and mayonnaise--simple! If I have mini marshmallows I throw some in but I usually don't have any on hand.


Carrot Cake


2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oil
4 eggs
3 cups grated raw carrots
1 cup chopped nuts
Combine ingredients with an electric mixer, adding eggs one at a time. Add nuts and carrots last. Pour into baking pan--oblong, angel food, bunt or 2 layers. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes if using a layer pan; bake 1 hour and 20 minutes if using an angel food or bundt pan.


Frosting
3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Blend cream cheese and cream; add vanilla and sugar. Cake may be frosted while warm.


This recipe comes from a cookbook I have had for years called An Apple A Day...Vegetarian Cookery by Doctors' Wives. However, if you are looking for healthy recipes, this is not the cookbook you're looking for--lots of fat and sugar in these recipes but they sure are yummy:) I get this cookbook out for special occasions only!


Enjoy your kids today--the little ones and the big ones!  Kat

1 comment: