Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Tasty Tuesday...on Wednesday...AGAIN!

This week is just slip-sliding away:( I had so much planned but I don't seem to be getting much done. The weather just makes me want to curl up with a book and read...or nap:) Speaking of the weather, Monday the temperature was in the 50s but Tuesday the temperature never got over 32 degrees (F). This morning when we got up the temperature was 12 degrees (F) and the high today was 26! Snow has been predicted for Thursday and Friday. With the wind blowing, it is really cold!

My recipe for today is one I just found on the internet and it was a real winner. As a vegetarian and now a vegan, I have learned to season food with herbs, spices and some interesting concoctions! For years I used a product called McKay's Chicken-style Seasoning and then switched to another product called Bill's Best Chik'nish Seasoning because the McKay's product had MSG in it. I believe they have since removed the MSG. Anyway, I was out of both and the recipe I was making called for McKay's Chicken-style Seasoning. What to do? I am over an hour away from any store that would carry such products. (Light bulb moment here) GOOGLE!!! I Googled using "substitute for McKay's Chicken-style seasoning" and found a recipe that is even better than any chicken-style seasoning I had ever used before. Even if you aren't vegetarian, you might want to try this seasoning as it is GREAT!!!

My Golden Seasoning is minus the parsley as I only had fresh
but it would look really pretty with the dried parsley in it.

Golden Seasoning - Chicken Flavor Substitute
A Great Chicken Seasoning Substitute, naturally gluten free.
1/2 cup soy flour (I used unbleached white flour)
1 1/4 cups nutritional yeast flakes

1/4 cup each onion powder and sea salt

2 Tbsp Italian Herbs
1 Tbsp each paprika and garlic powder

2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp each celery seed, sage, and thyme

1/2 tsp rosemary

3 to 4 Tbsp parsley
Combine all ingredients, except parsley,  in a food processor and blend until powdery smooth.  Stir in parsley.
Yields: 2 to 2 1/2 cups 
Serving Size: 1 tsp

Preparation time: 5 minutes 
Ready in: 5 minutes
I am interested to explore their website to see what other gems they have!
Thanks for stopping in today. 
Kat

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like quite an alternative.

    The polar vortex is back, and it's kicking butt and taking names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The polar vortex can go home:( We were visited by the white stuff today!

      Delete